So what comes first: is it a well-designed Strategic Plan that covers board governance, staffing, programs, fundraising, and a lot of specifics, or is it a well-oiled operation that recognizes that whatever comes next must be thought through, focused, and very planful?
Depending on the urgency of the problem that birthed your nonprofit and how quickly your organization scaled, the response is likely predictable. When you’re up to your neck in alligators, it’s hard to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. We get it! Organizations sometimes have to survive first, then, drain the swamp.
What is eminently more important, however, is that both strategic planning and great operations are essential musts of stakeholder accountability. So, wherever you are on the continuum from a start-up with no real planning as of yet through a well-run organization with a functioning strategic plan, we can likely be of service if you are experiencing pain points.
Here are some of the services we can provide.
- Fundraising Audit. What is working for you and what isn’t?
- Financial Development Planning. What is your magic mix for revenue generation? Direct mail? Grants? Planned giving? Business? Is it more than one approach to raising funds? We can help you determine a Smart Alignment strategy for moving the revenue meter forward. (Whatever you decide going forward, we can connect you with experts to handle your direct mail, grants and the like if you wish.)
- Nonprofit Rescue
- Strategic planning
- Sustainability audit
- Program planning, assessment, outcomes measurement
- Budgeting / financial reporting
- Personnel management
- Staff policies and procedures, e.g., position descriptions; job evaluation; compensation; hiring/dismissal; staff reorganization
- Organizational communication
- Interim CEO assignments (2 - 12 months)